There are thousands of species of mould in existence. So when you spot yellow mould growing, chances are you’ll want to know two things: Is it dangerous? And how do I remove it?
Here, we’ll outline exactly what yellow mould is, if it’s dangerous and what to do if you find it growing in your home.
Let’s dive in.
Firstly, What Is Yellow Mould?
Yellow mould is a fungus – and like any other mould species, it survives by breaking down organic matter.
It can appear as different shades of yellow and has either a dusty, fuzzy or slimy texture.
There are many different types of mould that appear yellow throughout their maturity stages. Some of the most common include Aspergillus, Mucor, Cladosporium and Epicoccum Nigrum.
In fact, there are over 900 species of slime mould that most commonly appear as yellow.
Is Yellow Mould Dangerous?
Yes – yellow mould can be dangerous, but it all depends on its size and species.
While some species of yellow mould like Cladosporium are not typically considered harmful to humans, others like Aspergillus or Mucor are a different story. Aspergillus is classified as ‘toxic mould’ and poses a risk to allergy-prone or immunocompromised individuals. Meanwhile, Mucor is rarer and not found inside the home.
Prolonged exposure to ‘toxic’ yellow moulds may lead to common mould exposure symptoms like coughing, sneezing and respiratory irritations.
Not only does yellow mould pose a risk to your health, it may also be harmful to the infrastructure of your home. As yellow mould feeds on organic materials like wood and plaster, it’ll slowly eat its way through the foundations of your home if left untreated.
Where Does Yellow Mould Grow?
Like all mould, yellow moulds thrive in dark, humid and moist environments that lack access to fresh air and natural light. You’ll often find it in:
- Crawl spaces
To prevent yellow mould from becoming an issue in your home, it’s important to keep all areas clean, dry and well-ventilated.
Found Yellow Mould In Your Home? Here’s What To Do
You should remove yellow mould as quickly and safely as possible to prevent it from spreading to other areas of the home. Your options for removal include:
Remove It Yourself
If you come across a small spot or patch of yellow mould, it’s possible to remove these yourself using vinegar or reputable mould removal products. Just be sure to skip the bleach-based products to avoid making the problem worse.
If you do attempt removal, be sure to wear a mask and gloves to protect yourself from touching or inhaling mould spores.
It’s important to note that these popular DIY removal methods are only ever a temporary solution. Without treating the cause of the mould, be it a leaking pipe, high humidity or poor ventilation, the mould will continue to return.
Call A Professional Mould Remediation Service (Recommended)
If you find yourself dealing with patches of yellow mould larger than a dinner plate, skip the DIY methods altogether.
Professional mould remediation is the only safe, effective way to remove large or reoccurring mould infestations.
A certified mould technician will remove both the physical mould and its airborne spores, as well as outline what’s causing it and the best steps for future prevention.
The MouldMen team will inspect, treat and provide you with a Mould Management and Prevention Plan to ensure that your home is kept safe and free from mould. Call us on 1300 60 59 60 to book your free inspection today.