Book Your Free Inspection Today

Simply click the button and fill out your details.

What is Pink Mould (And is it Dangerous?)

Pink mould is a common occurrence in Australian homes. It’s also one of the most mysterious mould types. 

Here, we’ll look at what pink mould is, if it’s dangerous and what makes it different from your average mould. 

Let’s take a look. 

What is Pink Mould Exactly? 

Pink mould refers to any mould species that appear pink throughout their maturity stages. This includes Serratia Marcescens, Aureobasidium Pullulans and Fusarium. 

Did you know Serratia Marcescens, the most common type of pink mould, is actually a bacteria, not a fungus?

It can appear as many different colours, shapes and textures. From light pink to yellow with a dry, fuzzy or even slimy consistency.  

Should I Worry About Pink Mould? 

Pink mould is not particularly harmful to healthy individuals. However, you should always practice caution when there are others living in the home, especially those with weak immune systems or pre-existing health conditions. 

Serratia Marcescens is also known as an opportunistic pathogen. Long-term exposure to Serra Marcescens for those who are at risk may lead to:  

  • Pneumonia 
  • Conjunctivitis 
  • UTIs 
  • Tear duct infections 
  • Respiratory issues 

That’s why if you notice pink mould growing around the home, it’s important to take immediate action to eradicate it as soon as possible.  

Where Does Pink Mould Grow?

Similar to mould, bacteria like Serratia Marcescens thrive in moist, warm environments. 

When moisture combines with fatty substances, scum or soap residue, it creates the perfect conditions for pink mould to thrive.  

You’ll often find pink mould in bacteria-prone areas like: 

  • Sinks 
  • Bathroom mats 
  • Showers 
  • Bathtubs 

To stop pink mould in its tracks, it’s important to regularly clean and dry areas to prevent the buildup of soap scum and shampoo residue.  

Found Pink Mould In Your Home? These Are Your Options

If you come across pink mould, or any other mould for that matter, you’ll want to remove it quickly to avoid large and costly mould infestations.  

Basically, you have three options: 

Remove It Yourself

It is possible to remove small areas of pink mould yourself, however, we wouldn’t recommend it 

Why? Because it may make the problem worse.  

Popular household mould killers often only remove the colour of the mould rather than the mould itself. This gives the misconception that the mould is gone, however, it will return and continue to grow and spread.   

Quick tip: If you do choose to remove mould yourself, look for bleach-free mould removal products containing a quaternary ammonium compound. This will actually kill the mould rather than just bleach it.  

Call A Professional

Professional mould remediation is the only safe way to remove large areas of pink mould.  

A thorough remediation process involves removing all physical and airborne mould in your home, as well as identifying what’s causing it and how to prevent it from returning.  

Basically, it’s the best way to return your home to a safe, mould-neutral state.  

Do Nothing

Small spots and patches of mould may be harmless, making it easy to do nothing about it.  

Blockquote: “Mould grows every 24 hours, usually colonising within the first 12 days of being visually noticeable.” 

However, the longer mould is left to grow, the greater the cost of removal will become. Not to mention the structural damage to your home and risk to your health 

A Free Inspection Is The First Step To A Safe, Healthy Home 

If you’re afraid of pink mould becoming a problem in your home and are looking for a safe, long-term solution, be sure to call up a professional mould removal team for inspection.  

The MouldMen team will inspect, treat and provide you with a Mould Management and Prevention Plan to ensure that your home is kept safe and free from mould. Call us on 1300 60 59 60 to book your free inspection today. 

Found Mould in Your Home? Book A Free Inspection.

Fast, Effective Treatment. Our safe treatment process removes 99.99% of mould spores & odours.

Same Day Service. We finish treatment the day we start. So you can get back to a healthy home, sooner.

Friendly, Local Technicians. All our technicians are polite, presentable and professional.