Green Mould is a type of fungus that works to break down organic matter by surviving on a combination of moisture and temperature.
There are hundreds of green mould species, identified by its appearance of green spores. Green mould can also appear blue, black or pink depending on its maturity and can appear dusty or fuzzy depending on its species.
Green mould is commonly found within the home and thrives in warm, damp environments including the bathroom, kitchen, walls, and basement. Mould can be a nuisance and a health hazard if left untreated, so let’s take a look at what green mould is and what to do when you find it.
Types of Green Mould
While there are hundreds of species that can appear green, the three most common are often found within the home or property:
Aspergillus is one of the most common species of mould found within and around the home and survives in humid, moist environments. It is commonly found growing on food items such as bread or fruit. They have been found to trigger allergies, respiratory discomfort and cause serious health risks if mycotoxins spores are inhaled.
With blue, green or yellow tinges, Penicillium usually grows in overly damp conditions and will spread under carpets and spoiled food. Finding Penicillium usually means that there are excessive moisture levels in the home or property.
Cladosporium thrives in warm environments and can work its way through dead or living plant material. It can appear in a variety of colours, including green depending on its maturity. It can be found in warm, moist environments such as bathroom surfaces.
Correctly identifying specific mould species from a visual inspection is near impossible without lab analysis. If you have a mould infestation, reach out to your local professional mould removalist to treat and eradicate the mould infestation to prevent risking your health.
What Causes Green Mould in Houses?
Green mould thrives in environments with high moisture levels and organic matter. Warm, humid areas or spaces with inadequate natural light create the perfect conditions for green mould to grow. These areas may include:
Window sills, particularly in bathroom and kitchen areas combine condensation, organic matter and warm temperatures, making it ideal for green mould to spread. Green mould can eat its way through the wood and can quickly turn into an infestation if left untreated.
Bathrooms carry high levels of condensation and moisture, and if it lacks regular ventilation, it causes mould to grow and spread through bathroom tiles, ceilings and walls. The Aspergillus strain will also work its way through water damaged areas. If you find green mould in your bathroom, it may be part of a larger problem, so ensure that you seek a professional service to fix the problem.
Attics are prone to warmer temperatures, inadequate ventilation and little to no natural light. In this case, green mould can grow and spread via airborne spores and eats away through organic matter such as wood, clothing, furniture and personal items.
With inadequate ventilation and little to no natural light, basements offer a damp environment for mould to grow. Green mould loves organic matter, so it can quickly turn into an infestation as it easily spreads throughout any wood, furniture or clothes. If you have suffered from water damage from seasonal rain or plumbing problems, it is important to clear and dry the area within 48 hours to prevent mould from growing throughout the area.
Food with high moisture and starch content such as bread or fruits kept at room temperature are ideal conditions for mould to grow. If you find green mould growing on your food, throw away the food in its entirety to avoid touching or ingesting its spores.
Is Green Mould Dangerous?
Green mould is associated with hundreds of species, some of which are known to release toxic, mycotoxin spores. This can cause health concerns for those who either frequently inhale spores or have existing respiratory problems. Due to the high number of green mould species, it is impossible to correctly identify specific green mould species.
Certain species of mould may trigger respiratory discomfort and allergies depending on any existing health conditions. Common symptoms of overexposure to mould include:
- Rashes or inflammation
Certain strains of Cladosporium are known to cause infections to your skin and brain, while Aspergillus is associated with releasing toxic spores and spurring allergic reactions.
If you have a compromised or weaker immune system, have children or are elderly, there is more cause for concern. To avoid spreading airborne spores around the home, it is recommended to seek out a professional mould removal specialist to perform an inspection and present a treatment plan.
How to Remove Green Mould?
Mix a 50/50 ratio of water and vinegar into a spray bottle, shake well and spray onto the mould affected area. Allow sitting for 10 – 15 minutes before scrubbing clean.
You can also add vinegar to your regular washing detergent with bleach to remove mould from shower curtains or clothes and place it on a heavy-duty cycle.
In a 250ml measuring cup, combine 125ml of baking soda with 62ml white vinegar and 62ml water ( 2:1:1 ratio) to create a thick paste. Apply the paste on the mould affected area and allow to sit until dry. Scrub away any mould or stains and wipe down with a wet cloth.
Removing mould naturally will provide a temporary solution, however, will not eradicate the problem in its entirety. If you require a permanent removal technique, it is recommended to seek out a professional mould removal service.
How to Prevent Green Mould?
Green mould will thrive anywhere that has a high level of moisture and little light and inadequate ventilation. Here are some ways to prevent mould from growing in your home:
- Ensure your bathroom is well ventilated
- Keep all areas of the home dry
- Circulate the air regularly, especially in dark, naturally damp areas
- Clean and dry any flooding, spills or water damage promptly
- Regularly clean out external drainage, guttering, downpipes and eaves
- Fix any leaking or plumbing problems promptly
- Hang out wet clothes immediately
When to Call a Mould Removal Professional?
Green mould can be tricky to identify and some species are toxic and are dangerous to your health. If you come across green mould growing in your home, you should seek action for its eradication to prevent overexposure and infestation.
If you are afraid of mould becoming a problem in your home and are looking for a long-term solution, be sure to call upon a professional team to help you. The MouldMen team will inspect, treat, and provide you with a Mould Management and Prevention Plan to ensure that your home is kept safe and free from mould. Call us on 1300 60 59 60 to book your free inspection today.