Book Your Free Inspection Today

Simply click the button and fill out your details.

Mould Myths Busted: Separating Fact from Fiction

In the vast, damp corners of the internet, mould myths proliferate faster than the spores themselves in a neglected shower. It’s high time we put these myths under the microscope—figuratively speaking, of course—to separate the fact from the fiction. With a blend of humour and hard facts, let’s embark on a fungal expedition to debunk some of the most common mould misconceptions.

Myth 1: Bleach is the Best Mould Assassin

Let’s kick things off with a classic: the belief that bleach is the mould-killing champion of the world. While bleach might seem like the go-to solution, it’s more of a surface-level performer. It can kill certain types of surface mould but doesn’t penetrate deep enough to eradicate the root structure. Think of it as giving the mould a slight cold rather than sending it to the mould afterlife. For a thorough cleansing, you’re better off with specialized mould removal products that address the underlying problem.

Myth 2: Mould is Only a Problem in Dirty Homes

Mould does not discriminate. It’s an equal-opportunity invader that can make itself at home in the cleanest of abodes. The key factor for mould growth is not cleanliness but moisture. Even the most sparkling mansions can host mould if there are damp conditions. So, before you judge a mouldy house, remember, it’s all about the humidity, not the housekeeping.

Myth 3: Black Mould = Instant Death

The term “black mould” (Stachybotrys chartarum) has been sensationalized to the point where it’s practically synonymous with a horror movie villain. Yes, it can produce toxins (mycotoxins) that are harmful to health, especially in prolonged exposure, but it’s not an instant death sentence. The effects of black mould exposure vary widely among individuals, and while it’s certainly a health risk that should be taken seriously, it’s not the grim reaper of fungi. Proper remediation and ventilation are key to managing its threat.

Myth 4: A Little Mould Never Hurt Anyone

On the flip side, some folks might be a bit too lax about mould, adopting a “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger” attitude. While not all mould is deadly, it can cause a range of health issues, from allergic reactions to respiratory problems. Especially for those with asthma or compromised immune systems, even “harmless” moulds can be anything but. So, it’s best to keep your indoor fungi as pets, not pests.

Myth 5: Painting Over Mould Makes it Disappear

Ah, if only life’s problems could be painted over and forgotten. Unfortunately, mould has a way of persisting, much like that embarrassing memory of calling your teacher “mom” in third grade. Painting over mould might hide it for a short while, but it’s still there, lurking and likely to resurface. To truly tackle a mould problem, you need to address the moisture issue and clean up the mould before redecorating.

Myth 6: Only Old Buildings Have Mould Problems

While it’s true that older buildings might have more vulnerabilities to moisture and hence mould, new constructions are not immune. In fact, tightly sealed buildings might trap moisture inside, creating a perfect mould breeding ground. Whether your abode is brand new or a century-old, vigilance against moisture is key to keeping mould at bay.

Prevention: The Best Mould Medicine

Ultimately, the best way to combat mould is through prevention. Keeping your home well-ventilated, promptly repairing leaks, and maintaining low humidity levels are your best defenses against these unwelcome fungal guests. Remember, mould might be persistent, but with the right knowledge and tools, you can maintain the upper hand in this spore war.

So, there you have it—mould myths busted with a mix of humour and undeniable truths. Keeping our homes mould-free is no laughing matter, but tackling these myths with a light-hearted approach can make the task a bit less daunting. Stay dry, stay informed, and may your homes remain mould-free zones!

Found Mould in Your Home? Book A Free Inspection.

Fast, Effective Treatment. Our safe treatment process removes 99.99% of mould spores & odours.

Same Day Service. We finish treatment the day we start. So you can get back to a healthy home, sooner.

Friendly, Local Technicians. All our technicians are polite, presentable and professional.